Tuesday 13 January 2015

Caridinas!

Apart form the Caridina mariae "Red Tiger" I showed a while ago I also keep these species and types...

The Caridina cantonensis "Tangerine Tiger" is a really nice shrimp and easy to keep and breed too! The yellow/orange colour stands out really well in most environments and they don't seem particularly shy. In my tanks they are always out and about even if they share tank with a group of Corydoras C90 and some Poecilia wingei.




Another old favourite of mine that I recently reaquired is the C. mariae "Blue Tiger". I got some from a Danish breeder and some from Germany as well, to get a mixed genepool if that is possible...
So far there has been a few berried ones but still I haven't seen any young. They share the tanks with Poecilia wingei wich should not be a problem, but also with Danio margaritatus and Barbus hulsterti. I am more worried about those being shrimplet-eaters...I have set breeding tanks up for both Cyprinids, so if they are a problem, the problem should be gone soon.
I used to breed a lot of Blue Tigers about 5 years ago. I hope to be succesful this time too.




These I got at a Börs in Braunsweig, Germany around 2006 and they have been breeding in my tanks ever since, no matter what conditions I have presented them for.
They were bought as "New Bee" without any further identity other than they were a Caridina sp.
Members in the Facebook-group Shrimps and mosses suggested either Caridina cf. tumida or C. cf. trifasciata. I can see the resemblence with C. tumida. Time will tell if anything else indicating another ID shows up.



At last there are my Caridina sp. Galaxy Tigers...aquired from Germany in December 2013 and arriving looking like 2-3 species! These pics are from the arrival - new ones are to be taken soon. So far one of the "oddballs" is berried. Looking forward to shimplets!







The Caridina spp. page is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment