Sunday, 4 October 2015

Garden-season ending and shrimp-disease!

Previously I showed a few bits from my outdoors-project here and here. It was the worst season ever, looking at the amount of breeding. Actually only Tanichthys albonubes reproduced themselves, even those only in small numbers.

But the fish and shrimp that I took in over the last week really showed some great colours and they have grown well over the summer. Here's a few:

Nice and very red Neocaridina davidi!

Probably descendant from Carbon Blue Rili. I had some leftovers from a colony that were not selected strictly and several varieties had popped up.

Corydoras plaeatus "Uruguay". Juveniles came out, almost adult fish came in!

 Aphanius danfordi "Soysalli".

The fishroom re-build is coming along in steps. The racks are running and I'm down to 39 tanks. Instead of the 54-litres, I set up some 16 and 70 litres. More pictures will follow. I have also bought some new LED-lights that need to be assembled. A project for the winther!


The worst part of an operation like this is the potential losses of stock while it goes on. The ones that took the biggest strike was my Caridina mariae "Red Tiger". They caught what I suppose was a bactierial infection of some kind. I was able to stop the deaths with JBL Furanol 2 (the only remedy I had in stock) as Cattappa leaves, Alder cones etc. didn't seem to help. As soon as I carried out a waterchange, the deaths would start again and evetually all the shrimps died. Snails and fish were totally unaffected. I was told Baytril Vet. would probably help, but I was not able to find a veterinarian to deliver.
I have restocked from a couple of German suppliers, among others Uwe Zeitler, who delivered perfectly packed specimens.

From this...

...to this...


...and ending with this...





No comments:

Post a Comment